The Nicholas Hawksmoor Learning Trust: Building Excellence for our Children
Our mission is to ensure that our children are well educated, know how to stay safe and healthy and are able to participate as active, thoughtful members of present and future society.
- Excellence in educational standards: We are driven by the moral imperative to ensure that our pupils receive the highest quality education to equip them with the necessary skills and knowledge.
- Personal Excellence: We recognise that the best education is as much about developing young people’s character strengths and virtues. We have the highest aspirations for every individual as they learn and grow with us. We value respect and consideration for others, equal opportunities, hard work and fair discipline. We seek to develop skilful, curious and independent learners; foster individual resilience, confidence, and a strong sense of identity underpinned by integrity and responsibility, so that they are prepared to contribute positively to the communities and world that they belong to.
Building Curriculum Excellence
Children at Bracken Leas Primary School have access to a relevant, engaging and inspiring curriculum that provides opportunities and creativity to develop the whole child. We aim to provide rich and relevant curriculum experiences which are effectively structured, properly planned, challenging, active and engaging.
We seek to provide curriculum and extra-curricular opportunities, particularly through high quality provision in the Arts and Sports, which develop character, support children’s interests, channel their enthusiasm and contributes to their progress intellectually, physically, emotionally, socially and spiritually.
We strive to create an exceptional learning environment for our pupils and we appreciate the importance of attention to detail as well as creating a sense of excitement that inspires moments of awe for the world in which they live and fosters an enquiring mind.
Our shared Curriculum Intent for all our pupils has 4 main strands:
Core skills and knowledge: developing literacy, numeracy and critical thinking skills enables pupils to access the entire curriculum and master key knowledge and concepts so that they are ready for the next stage of their education and future lives.
Creativity: a curriculum enriched through exposure to our cultural capital through the Arts, Sports and real-life learning contexts, inspiring pupils to be interested, to think, express and problem solve to deepen their understanding and engagement with the world
Character: developing character strengths and virtues supports pupils’ personal growth and confidence helps them achieve sustained wellbeing.
- Curiosity – an intellectual virtue, that refers to open-mindedness, a desire to inquire, thinking for oneself and a quest to improve and find out more.
- Honesty – a moral virtue, that calls on us to seek and honour the truth both in the world and within our own lives; this also calls for humility and openness to feedback, whatever our status.
- Perseverance – a performance virtue, that enables us to keep striving in the midst of challenges, in the pursuit of long-term goals.
- Resilience– the capacity to recover quickly from difficulty; adapt with ease when faced with adversity; embracing the process of learning from mistakes: not fearing them and keeping a positive mindset.
Community: a curriculum that promotes:
- Sense of identity and belonging
- Tolerance of diversity
- Ability to collaborate and interact positively with others
- Service – a civic virtue, meaning a commitment to be kind, to put others first and be enthusiastically helpful, the importance of participation and making a contribution
At Bracken Leas, our curriculum offer is broad and varied led by carefully planned topic themes following the 2014 National Curriculum. We believe in enriching the curriculum with wider opportunities planning in relevant first hand experiences and memorable learning experiences to immerse the children and spark curiosity with WOW days, visitors in and trips out. Core skills taught in English and Maths lessons are applied across the curriculum and planned themes identify relevant cross-curricular connections enabling children to make links and deepen their understanding.
ACHIEVE. BELIEVE. LEARN. ENJOY.
At Bracken Leas we firmly believe that every child is ABLE. This is reflected in our school motto: ACHIEVE, BELIEVE, LEARN, ENJOY. We make this happen through our actions every day at our school and the motto sits at the heart of our curriculum and everything we do.