At Bracken Leas we intend to help children develop skills and knowledge that will enable them to communicate creatively with the world at large, through spoken and written language. We also intend to help children to enjoy and appreciate literature and its rich variety.
We follow the general progression of English as set out in the National Curriculum. During English lessons, which last approximately an hour every day, children develop their skills in the following areas:
- Speaking, listening and responding;
- Group discussions and drama;
- Spelling, grammar and punctuation (although these may also be taught discretely);
- Understanding and interpreting texts;
- Writing and developing sentence structure;
- Handwriting and presentation.
Quite often, English lessons form part of our cross curricular studies, so the context for writing or the text being studied will link to learning in other curriculum areas.
Our school is now using Talk 4 Writing in English lessons and support writing in other lessons. Here is a copy of a recent presentation to parents if you want to find out more.
Here is a link to the Talk 4 Writing website www.talk4writing.co.uk/./