At Bracken Leas we intend to help children develop skills and knowledge that will enable them to communicate creatively with the world at large, through spoken and written language. We also intend to help children to enjoy and appreciate literature and its rich variety.
We follow the general progression of English as set out in the National Curriculum. During English lessons, which last approximately an hour every day, children develop their skills in the following areas:
- Speaking, listening and responding;
- Group discussions and drama;
- Spelling, grammar and punctuation (although these may also be taught discretely);
- Understanding and interpreting texts;
- Writing and developing sentence structure;
- Handwriting and presentation.
We use Talk 4 Writing in Early Years-Year 3 English lessons. From Year 4 we encourage the children ti be more flexible to build on the skills they have already learnt. We encourage a rich vocabulary and allow their imaginations to develop.